I hurt my back on Monday. It was a pretty serious ouch, so I have been home-bound and on Percocet for the last few days. Since the warning label on the meds says not to operate heavy machinery, sewing on the machine was out. I can’t just sit still, I needed something to work on. Luckily I had cleaned out a drawer a few weeks ago, and unearthed an in-progress, counted cross-stitch project.
A little history on my fascination with cross-stitch, and this project:I first discovered counted cross-stitch when I was about 10 years old. There was this great needlework store in Sausalito, and I used to save up my allowance for weeks buy needlepoint and cross-stitch kits. I didn’t have anyone to teach or coach me through these projects, and frequently found myself frustrated by the counting aspect of cross-stitch. As a result, I stuck to needlepoint.
Flash forward a dozen or so years and I decided to give it another shot. I stuck mostly to very small, ornament sized kits. They were nice, but not very challenging. And while I enjoyed needlepoint, I preferred the look of cross-stitch. Someone suggested that I try Stamped cross-stitch, but I didn’t like the fact that the lines can peek through.
A few years ago, I discovered the plethora of crafting supplies on ebay, and began buying up a storm. I bought quilt kits, needlepoint kits, and cross-stitch kits. I was drawn to this fun sampler that used very 1970’s colors, and started on it. Soon quilting projects took over, and the sampler went back into the drawer, forgotten until last week.
Since rediscovering this project, I have been on a cross-stitch bender! I bought some new books, a bunch of floss, and subscribed to a great magazine from England devoted to cross-stitch!
Since I really like the design of this project, I did a little search on the designer, to see if she had more projects available. What I found was the “grande dame” of the resurgence of needle arts- Erica Wilson. Thanks to Ms. Wilson, America (and the world) rediscovered the art of needlecraft. I also found out that the sampler is based off of a more complex crewel embroidery design. Here is the complex pattern:
I have been working like a fiend on this project and have made significant progress. I have had to pick out a few of the stitches due to some miscounts, but all in all, this has been a great project to work on while recovering.
I got a couch organizer for needlecrafts:
This little “over the arm” organizer by DMC is fantastic! I use the pockets to store the thread snips and the pieces I am currently using. The larger pocket holds my thread card, and the little button holds the scissors while I am working. Even better, it folds up into a small-ish square and fits into the project bag.
I had to pick out and re-do this flower about three times before I got it right:
Here is the “big picture”
With my renewed interest in embroidery and cross-stitch, I have added many new books to my collection. I promise to update my bookshelf page soon!